The ACMAV originated as an association of medical practitioners of Chinese background but has since widened its membership to medical students and doctors with an interest in caring for Chinese patients. It is the Victorian chapter of the Australasian Council of Chinese Medical Associations (ACCMA). ACMAV is an affiliate of the Australian Medical Association (Victoria) and maintains active representation on the AMA (Vic) Council.
ACMAV acts as trustee of the ACMAV Health Promotion Trust and executes its educational and health promotion activities for the benefit of the Chinese Community of Victoria.
Through its educational, charitable and social activities, the ACMAV provides a forum for its members to interact on a professional and personal level, while focusing on the health needs of the local Chinese and broader communities.
The joint aims of the ACMAV Inc. and ACCMA are:
- To promote professional standards of members.
- To provide a forum for professional and social exchange amongst its members.
- To promote and conduct continuing medical education and research in professional skills and knowledge of members.
- To provide responses to community issues affecting the members.
- To acquire and accumulate knowledge and provide responses in relation to health issues affecting the Chinese community.
- From time to time contribute to deserving charitable causes, perform acts of good corporate citizenship and promote mutual understanding and to liaise with other medical organisations.
- To do all such things as the Management Committee of the Association considers necessary in the furtherance of the objects of the Association.